IFTTT, short for “If This Then That,” is an innovative automation tool that enables users to simplify and streamline their everyday tasks. By connecting various apps and services and creating rules or “applets,” IFTTT can automate processes that would otherwise require manual intervention. In this introduction, we’ll explore the basic concepts underlying IFTTT, as well as some of its key features and benefits. Today we’ll show you how to utilise this technology.
Are you looking for a smart home solution? Get in touch.
How IFTTT Works
IFTTT functions by establishing links between different apps and services, allowing them to communicate with each other through predefined triggers and actions. The platform supports a wide range of services, including social media platforms, email services, smart home devices, and more.
Creating an applet in IFTTT requires two primary components: a trigger (the “this” part) and an action (the “that” part). When the specified trigger occurs within one service, the defined action is automatically executed in another service. For example, a user might create an applet that automatically emails them a weather report every morning at a specific time or posts all Instagram photos to their Twitter account.
Why Use IFTTT?
IFTTT offers numerous advantages to individuals and businesses alike, including increased efficiency, streamlined workflows, and enhanced customisation. Some key benefits of using IFTTT are:
1. Time savings: Through automation, IFTTT helps users save time by eliminating repetitive tasks and reducing manual input.
2. Improved organisation: IFTTT can be used to manage and organise various aspects of personal and professional life by integrating multiple services and automating processes.
3. Increased functionality: IFTTT enables users to enhance the capabilities of existing apps and services by linking them together in new and inventive ways.
4. Customisable experience: With thousands of available triggers and actions, IFTTT is highly adaptable to individual needs and preferences.
Examples of Popular IFTTT Applets
There’s virtually no limit to the number of applets you can create with IFTTT, but here are a few popular examples to provide a taste of the platform’s potential:
1. Automatically save email attachments to a cloud storage service (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive).
2. Automatically turn off Wi-Fi on your smartphone when leaving home to conserve battery life.
3. Receive a notification when your favourite sports team’s game starts or when they score.
4. Sync new contacts across multiple platforms, such as Google Contacts and Microsoft Outlook.
As you can see, IFTTT is a powerful tool with seemingly endless possibilities for automating tasks and optimising your daily routine. By understanding how IFTTT works and how it can benefit you, it becomes easier to maximise its potential and make your life a little bit easier.
Setting Up Your IFTTT Account and Exploring Applets
Creating Your IFTTT Account
Before you can make the most of IFTTT’s capabilities, you’ll need to create an account. To begin, visit the IFTTT website at https://ifttt.com/ and click on “Get started for free.” You will be prompted to either create your account using your Google or Apple credentials or sign up with an email address and password. Choose the method that works best for you, then follow the on-screen instructions to confirm your account.
Exploring the IFTTT Dashboard
Upon logging in, you’ll be taken to your IFTTT dashboard. This is where you’ll see a collection of pre-made Applets curated by IFTTT and recommended based on your selected interests. You can browse these Applets and enable the ones you find useful by clicking the “Connect” button next to each one. If you’d like to look for more specific Applets, utilize the search bar at the top of the page to find what you need.
Understanding and Enabling Applets
Applets are the building blocks of IFTTT, allowing you to create automated actions between supported apps and devices. Each Applet consists of a trigger (the “If”) and an action (the “That”). When the trigger condition is met, IFTTT will automatically perform the specified action. For example, an Applet might automatically save any tweet you like on Twitter to a Notion database.
To enable an Applet, simply click the “Connect” button next to it on the dashboard or in search results. A new window will open, displaying the Applet’s details, trigger, and action. Here, you may need to grant IFTTT permission to access the services involved in the Applet. Once the necessary permissions are granted, you can customize the Applet’s settings, such as the folder where files will be saved. After adjusting your preferences, click “Connect” one more time to enable the Applet. From this point forward, IFTTT will automate the action specified in the Applet whenever the trigger condition is met.
Creating Custom Applets for Personalised Automation
Creating custom applets in IFTTT allows you to automate a wide range of tasks tailored to your specific needs. This can not only save you time but also improve your overall productivity. In this section, we will cover the necessary steps to create custom applets and provide some examples to get you started on a personalised automation journey.
Step-by-Step Guide to Create Custom Applets
Follow these steps to create your own custom applets in IFTTT:
1. Sign in or create an account on the IFTTT website.
2. Click on your profile icon in the top right corner and select ‘Create’ from the dropdown menu.
3. Click on the ‘+This’ button to choose a trigger service. You can either search for a specific service or browse through the available categories.
4. Select a trigger event from the list provided by the chosen service provider.
5. Configure any necessary trigger parameters and click the ‘Create trigger’ button.
6. Next, click on the ‘+That’ button to choose an action service, similar to how you chose the trigger service.
7. Select an action event from the list provided by the chosen action service.
8. Configure any necessary action parameters and click the ‘Create action’ button.
9. Optionally, you can add a custom title for your applet for easier identification.
10. Finally, click the ‘Finish’ button to create your custom applet.
Your custom applet is now ready for use. It will automatically run whenever the specified trigger event occurs, executing the desired action.
Examples of Custom Applets for Personalised Automation
Here are some examples of custom applets to give you an idea of what is possible with IFTTT:
1. Social Media Cross-Posting: Automatically share new posts from one social media platform (e.g., Instagram) to another (e.g., Twitter) by setting up a custom applet with the corresponding trigger and action events.
2. Home Automation: Set up an applet that turns on the lights in your smart home when your phone connects to your home Wi-Fi network. This requires a compatible smart home system and location services enabled on your phone.
3. Weather Alerts: Configure an applet to send you an email or text message when the weather forecast predicts rain or snow, ensuring that you always stay prepared for unexpected weather changes.
4. Task Reminders: Create an applet that sends you a notification or reminder at specific times of the day or week. You can even link it to calendar events or important dates.
Remember, these are just a few examples of the many possibilities available when creating custom applets. With the vast number of services and triggers provided by IFTTT, you can create personalised automation that caters to your unique needs and preferences. Happy automating!
IFTTT Integrations: Connecting Your Favourite Apps and Services
What are IFTTT Integrations?
IFTTT, short for “If This Then That,” is a powerful automation platform that connects your favorite apps, services, and devices to create seamless workflows. These connections, called integrations, allow different software and hardware to work together, bringing new levels of convenience and efficiency to your daily routine. In this section, we’ll explore some popular IFTTT integrations and how they can help you get the most out of your apps and services.
Popular IFTTT Integrations and Their Benefits
There are countless IFTTT integrations available, so it’s easy to find ones that suit your needs. Here are just a few examples of popular integrations that can simplify your life:
- Smart Home Integrations: You can use IFTTT to connect smart home devices like lights, thermostats, and security systems. For example, you can create a trigger to automatically turn off lights when you leave home or adjust the temperature based on the weather forecast.
- Social Media Integrations: Automate various aspects of your social media presence with IFTTT. For instance, you can auto-post your Instagram photos to Twitter or save any liked tweets to a Google Sheet document.
- Email and Calendar Integrations: Stay organised by linking your email and calendar services. You could set up an integration to send reminder emails for upcoming events, add flagged emails to your to-do list, or even create calendar events from specific emails.
- Health and Fitness Integrations: Keep track of your health and fitness goals by linking services like Fitbit, MyFitnessPal, or Google Fit. Create integrations to log your meals, exercise, and sleep patterns in a single view or send motivational messages based on your daily goals.
Creating Your Own IFTTT Integrations
While there are many pre-built IFTTT integrations to choose from, you also have the option to create your own custom integrations. This is done by combining “triggers” (the “If This” part) with “actions” (the “Then That” part) in the IFTTT app or website. For example, you could create a trigger for receiving an email from a specific sender and set the action to save the attachment to your Google Drive. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to tailor IFTTT to your unique needs and preferences.
In conclusion, IFTTT integrations are an essential tool for connecting your favourite apps and services, making your digital life more streamlined and efficient. Whether you’re using popular integrations or creating your own, IFTTT helps you get the most out of your technology and devices.
Tips and Tricks for Getting the Most Out of IFTTT
Optimising Your Applet Selection
One of the key elements of maximising IFTTT’s potential is being selective with the applets you choose to implement. To make your selection process efficient, start by browsing through popular applets or searching for applets that are designed for specific services you already use. Read the reviews of each applet and consider how it can improve your productivity or simplify your daily tasks.
Utilizing Multi-Step Applets
Instead of relying solely on single action applets, explore the world of multi-step applets. These powerful automations can perform a series of actions based on a single trigger, allowing you to create more advanced workflows. Using IFTTT’s Pro plan, you can add queries, conditional logic, and multiple actions to supercharge your automations. Experiment with different combinations to find the routines that best suit your needs.
Organise and Customise Notifications
IFTTT provides numerous options for notifications, from getting an email or push notification to sending an SMS or updating a spreadsheet. Customise your notification preferences to meet your specific requirements. Organise them using various channels such as email filters and labels, and customise the content to provide you with the most relevant information. This way, you can stay on top of important updates without feeling overwhelmed by constant alerts.